Well, after a couple of weekends living it up and doing family stuff we finaly have some progress!
Howard has made the turret support frame which incorporates the recoil mechanism mounted on the stout plate seen in the previous post. Last weekend I took the chassis over to Uckfield (still on the temporary electrics) for the trial fitting of the turret. Once again, things didnt work out quite to plan and poor Howard was seen to be giving me 'that look' again! Not going into detail but we have measured the hull top and turret and confirmed they are more or less right with the correct angles as well when we first got the model. So why the bloody hell doesnt it fit together correctly? lol We had decided where the turret pivot point was but when we mounted the turret it was found to be too far back and overlapped the engine hatch. This would have prohibited access to the switches and controls as well as looking wrong of course. Howard did some metal working jiggery pokery and lo and behold the turret rear sat just in front of the engine hatch, but..... the mantlet was far too far forward and stopped the drivers and radio ops hatches opening!!! We looked, we measured, we mused and we argued but eventually we worked it out, the curved turret front just behind the mantlet was too far forward. So... we cut it off, cut it down and hot glued it back on just to try it out and voila, success! Again, doesnt sound like much but that took most of the day :-( We also made a start on the flamvernichter exhausts, made from rainwater down pipe and 90 degree bends. Anyway, here's some pics.
Hopefully more next weekend.